0203 713 4530

First Name: (required)

Surname: (required)

Your Email

Contact telephone number: (required)

Preferred time to ring:

Please type the code below:



Expenses: Claiming Mileage Allowance

March 13, 2014

How much can you claim as a mileage allowance and what if your mode of transport is a motorcycle or bicycle?

If you are a contractor and you drive to your temporary place of work you can claim a mileage allowance. You can also claim this if driving forms part of your journey, for example if you drive to the train station then take the train to your workplace – you can claim for the miles driven to and from the train station. The current mileage allowance is 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles travelled in any tax year. Once your miles exceed 10,000 the rate reduces to 25p. Don’t forget that on April 6th – the first day of the new tax year – the rate goes back up to 45p for the first 10,000 miles. You can also claim for business passengers at 5p per mile. Want to know the top ten most fuel efficient cars of 2013? click here.

This mileage allowance is paid to you free of any tax or NI liability but it is important that you keep a clear record of the journey’s you make and why you have made them. You need to be able to confirm these details if ever HMRC were to enquire into your mileage claim.

Some of our contractors use a motorcycle to travel to their work and the mileage rate for motorcycle journeys is 24p per mile. If you use a bicycle then the mileage rate is 20p per mile.

For further information on claiming expenses as contractor or freelancer please call us on 0203 713 4530 or email



Take Home Pay

Complete the form to find out just how much better off you could be with payroll by Carrington Umbrella.

All fields are mandatory

Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Your Telephone Number:

Hourly Rate (£):

Hours (weekly):

Expenses (£ weekly):