Changes to EU travel from 2021

eu travel changes

The Government have issued new guidance regarding travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Changes will take affect as from 1 January 2021. 

This information is part of the Brexit transition: new rules for 2021 guidance, the full article can be found here –


Things you may need to do before you go include:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel – contact your vet at least 4 months before you go


Travelling for business

Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.


Entry requirements

The country you’re travelling to might have its own entry requirements, or ask you to have certain documents.

Check the entry requirements for the country you’re visiting.


Professional qualifications

Check your qualifications will be recognised in the EU if you provide services like legal services.


Earning money in the EU

You might need to tell HMRC you’ll be working in the EU. Check whether you’ll need to pay social security contributions in the country you’re working in.



Check whether you need indemnity insurance for your employees.



You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021.

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will also need a ‘green card’ and a GB sticker.


Compensation if your travel is disrupted

Some travel insurance policies only cover certain types of disruption. 

Check your provider’s terms and conditions to make sure you have the cover you need if your travel is cancelled or delayed.

Your consumer rights will not change from 1 January 2021. 

This means that if your travel is cancelled or delayed you may be able to claim a refund or compensation. Check your booking’s terms and conditions to find out more.